Direct to College (DTC) - in process of updating
Direct to College is a new admission process that assures incoming freshman students who are admitted into the College of Engineering that they can pursue an engineering degree at the UW. The changes take effect for the incoming freshman class of 2018.
We are in the process of updating our website to reflect the changes. For details, see:
Planning Ahead for High School Students
High school students and families should try to attend our high school information sessions. Autumn sessions cover engineering admissions, majors, research and employment in engineering. Spring sessions prepare prospective engineering students who have been accepted to the UW. Learn more at Visit Us/Attend Events »
Before your first year of college, you can prepare for what will certainly be one of the most exciting, rewarding, and challenging experiences of your life.
- Take all the advanced math and science classes you can
- Math and science are the fundamental tools that allow engineers to innovate and turn ideas for new inventions into reality.
- Develop your written and verbal communication skills
- Engineers work in teams, collaborating with colleagues with diverse backgrounds and expertise.
- Practice good study habits and get comfortable with self-discipline
- Students can mistake their strong grades in high school as evidence that they are organized and know how to study. Forming study groups, spending extra time with your instructors to ask deeper questions, and working through practice problems (even the ones that weren't assigned) are all things that will be expected of you when you come to the UW. If those habits are already a part of your routine when you arrive, your transition to college will be smoother.
UW Engineering Student Academic Services supports all incoming and current students with many academic and social programs. Prospective students from Washington state, particularly minorities, women and first-generation college students, can get a head start on college-level math through Mathematics Academy. For students admitted to the UW, the STEM Bridge program brings students to campus before Autumn quarter to prepare for the rigors of university-level coursework and to build community.