Students are strongly encouraged to pursue undergraduate research opportunities before completing their degrees.
Undergraduate research opportunities fall into two categories: part-time during the academic year and full-time summer programs. Students often earn credit for research during the academic year while summer programs are more often funded and usually include an academic component focused on pursuing graduate school.
Interested in research opportunities?
It is strongly recommended that students getting started exploring research opportunities sign up for an advising appointment for one on one support with the Office of Undergraduate Research team.
Office of Undergraduate Research
The Office of Undergraduate Research is an excellent resource for learning about undergraduate research opportunities. They offer:
- Annual Undergraduate Research Symposium
- Workshops and courses
- Information on summer programs
- Individual advising
Departmental research links
Each engineering department provides guidance to students about getting involved in research. Contact the department undergraduate advisers for advice on finding a research project.
Learn more about research in each department:
- Aeronautics & Astronautics
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil & Environmental Engineering
- Computer Science & Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Human Centered Design & Engineering
- Industrial & Systems Engineering
- Materials Science & Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
Other engineering research programs
- Amgen Scholars Program
- Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center Summer Internships
- Genetically Engineered Materials Science and Engineering Center REU
- Clean Energy Bridge to Research REU Program
- Inverse Problems REU
- NASA Space Grant
- Research in Biostatistics and Statistical Genetics