CoE Grant and Contract Proposal Preparation
Indirect Cost Rates (Facilities and Administrative Costs or F&A)
See GIM 13
- Reminder: Certain costs are exempt from the indirect costs (or F&A) calculation. The subset of costs that are included in the F&A calculation are called the Modified Total Direct Cost (MTDC) base (not included are equipment, graduate operating fees, the cost of subcontracts after the first $25,000). More information is available in GIM 13 – Facilities and Administrative (F&A) Rates.
- F&A (Indirect Cost) Rate Agreement latest negotiated and approved date
Projecting salary increases
It is recommended that departments use 4% annual inflation for salaries, unless sponsor policy exists. Follow all sponsor guidance that may apply.
Employee benefit rates
RA salaries Schedule 1 only
RA salaries Schedule 1 only
Salary/monthly rate, 50% FTE
Graduate operating fees (Tuition)
Graduate operating fees are excluded from the indirect costs calculation per the MTDC (Modified Total Direct Cost) base on sponsored projects. Operating fees do not include building, technology, services and accounting fees.
College of Engineering graduate operating fees are Graduate Tier II, based on resident tuition and vary by program. Note that not all sponsors pay tuition (check the terms of the proposal).
- Project increases at 5% annually. Summer tuition is always negotiated at a different rate than the academic year. (There is no official UW policy as yet on ANY tuition projections.)
- When including the operating portion of tuition for graduate student research assistants in your proposal budget, the correct terminology to use is "Graduate Operating Fee." These numbers do NOT include various additional fees which are prohibited from federal research grants.
- For detailed tuition and fees, including Tier I, II, and III amounts, or for general information on UW tuition and projections, visit UW Office of Planning & Budgeting.
Principal Investigators - eligible titles
A person holding any one of the following titles is eligible to serve as a Principal Investigator:
- Research Professor
- Associate Professor
- Research Associate Professor
- Assistant Professor
- Research Assistant Professor
- Research Scientists of Grade 10 and above (adopted by COE Executive Committee, January 29, 1997)
- PNNL Affiliate Professor
Persons holding the following titles may also be eligible, but are subject to review and approval by the Department Chair and Vice Dean on a case-by-case basis:
- Director (of a major program)
- Senior Lecturer
- Research Scientist of Grade 9
- Visiting and Acting Titles
Equipment thresholds effective July 1, 2016
All sponsors (federal sponsors and non-federal): $5,000 per unit
- For items costing less than the per unit cost described above, be sure to budget them as supplies.
- Equipment is exempt from indirect costs when using MTDC base.
- For more information on equipment fabrication, visit UW Equipment Inventory Office - Equipment Fabrication.
- For more information, visit UW Equipment Inventory Office.
- Institutional Codes & Numbers
- Office of Sponsored Programs
- UW MyResearch Project Lifecycle
- Grants Information Memoranda (GIMs)
- System to Administer Grants Electronically (SAGE) (requires UW NetID)
- MyResearch (requires UW NetID)
- Funding Opportunities
- Limited Submissions
- College of Engineering Research Administrator Network (CERAN) Catalyst Workspace
- Research Administration and Compliance Training