The College of Engineering RSO Project Grant provides funding to support the development of innovative and impactful projects from registered student organizations (RSOs).
A student organization must meet the following criteria:
- Be an RSO in the College of Engineering
- Have a faculty/staff adviser
- Have not received funding from the Alaska Airlines Environmental Innovation Challenge (EIC) or the UW Health Innovation Challenge (HIC) that will be awarded during the COE project grant award cycle
For the 2020-21 application period, the College of Engineering will give priority to RSOs making innovations to their programming in response to the reduction in opportunities for on-campus meetings and programming.
Examples of innovations that this grant can fund include the following:
- costs to ship equipment and materials to members
- costs to purchase equipment and materials to support remote programming
- costs to develop and hold remote outreach and engagement events
The grants will support new efforts only; funding will not be awarded to support standard programming for which we expect RSOs have already budgeted and raised funds.
Average award amounts in 2020-21 are expected to be $300-$500.
Application periods and deadlines
|Quarter||Application opens||Deadline (5:00 p.m. Pacific Time)||Notification date||End of award period*|
|Autumn 2020||Sept. 30, 2020||Oct. 16, 2020||Nov. 6, 2020||Oct. 16, 2021|
|Winter 2021||Jan. 4, 2021||Jan. 22, 2021||Feb. 12, 2021||Jan. 22, 2022|
|Spring 2021||Mar. 29, 2021||Apr. 16, 2021||May 7, 2021||Apr. 16, 2022|
*Awarded grant funds are expected to be used only during the award period.
Although there are three application periods during the academic year, RSOs may only apply once during the year. This applies whether or not an application receives funding.
International travel policy & terms
NOTE: The US Department of State issued worldwide travel advisories in 2020, and many countries have restricted entry to US citizens. RSO members are strongly encouraged to avoid international travel as part of their programming while these advisories and restrictions are in effect. The International Travel Policy & Terms remains on this form for reference; this policy will be in effect once normal travel policies resume.
If your RSO's activities include international travel, accepting this funding from the College of Engineering requires your travel to comply with the UW Student International Travel Policy. For more information on registering travel as a health & safety program, contact Mike Engh at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Complete the RSO Project Grant Application. You can save your progress at any time and return to complete the application before the application deadline. The application includes the following questions:
- Describe your RSO and its goals. What question or problem does your RSO seek to address?
- Describe the innovations to your programming that you will be making in response to changes required by COVID-19 in 2020-21. How will these innovations support your group's overall goals?
- What is the total amount you are requesting from the College of Engineering RSO Project Grant?
- Please provide information about the expected expenses toward which the requested project grant will be applied.
Upon request, the Project Grant Review Committee will provide feedback on your application so your RSO understands the award decision.
The following groups have been awarded grants in the 2020-21 academic year:
- Concrete Canoe
- SAMPE - Society for the Advancement of Material and Process Engineering
- SARP - Society for Advanced Rocket Propulsion
- SEDS – Students for the Exploration and Development of Space
- Synbio for Everyone
- UWROV - UnderWater Remotely Operated Vehicles
- Washington Hyperloop
- Washington Superbike
- /bin/sh club