The College of Engineering RSO Project Grant provides funding to support the development of innovative and impactful projects from registered student organizations (RSOs).
A student organization must meet the following criteria:
- Be an RSO in the College of Engineering
- Have a faculty/staff adviser
- Have not received funding from the Alaska Airlines Environmental Innovation Challenge (EIC) or the UW Health Innovation Challenge (HIC) that will be awarded during the COE project grant award cycle
The grant is intended to support new efforts only; funding will not be awarded to support standard programming for which we expect RSOs have already budgeted and raised funds.
The College of Engineering is particularly interested in awarding funding to projects that meet one or more of the priority selection criteria:
- Application demonstrates how RSO promotes diversity/accessibility within member organization and makes a positive community impact.
- Application explains how the project engages participants from different disciplines and among different academic levels.
- Application demonstrates a concerted effort to raise funds from departments and external sources.
- Application includes plans for fund matching from departments or external sources.
- Application outlines a plan for achieving specific goals and outcomes during the award period, which ends 12 months after the application deadline.
- Application clearly indicates that grant will not support activities or projects outside of the 12 month award period.
- Grant will be used for program start-up costs.
- Application includes plans for the program to be financially self-sustaining in the future.
- Grant will be applied toward unique and/or unexpected opportunities that arise for your group for which funding was not allocated in your original budget.
Average award amounts in 2021-22 are expected to be $1,000-$3,000.
Application periods and deadlines
|Quarter||Application opens||Deadline (5:00 p.m. Pacific Time)||Notification date||Award use deadline*|
|Autumn 2021||Sept. 29, 2021||Oct. 15, 2021||Nov. 5, 2021||End of Fall Quarter 2022|
|Winter 2022||Jan. 3, 2022||Jan. 21, 2022||Feb. 11, 2022||End of Winter Quarter 2023|
|Spring 2022||Mar. 28, 2022||Apr. 15, 2022||May 6, 2022||End of Spring Quarter 2023|
*Awarded grant funds are expected to be used only during the award period.
RSOs may submit an application in multiple application periods. Upon request, the Project Grant Review Committee will provide feedback on applications.
International travel policy & terms
If your RSO's activities include international travel, accepting this funding from the College of Engineering requires your travel to comply with the UW Student International Travel Policy. For more information on registering travel as a health & safety program, contact Jacque Hernandez at jacqueh2@uw.
Complete the RSO Project Grant Application. You can save your progress at any time and return to complete the application before the application deadline. The application includes the following questions:
- Describe your RSO and its goals. What question or problem does your RSO seek to address?
- Review the priority selection criteria for this grant. In what ways does your project application meet these criteria?
- What is the total amount you are requesting from the College of Engineering RSO Project Grant?
- Please provide information about the expected expenses toward which the requested project grant will be applied.
Upon request, the Project Grant Review Committee will provide feedback on your application so your RSO understands the award decision.
The following groups have been awarded grants in the 2021-22 academic year:
Fall Quarter 2021: