Skip to main content


Internship program FAQs

Internships are hands-on experiential opportunities where you can apply academic knowledge in professional settings to further adapt your skills for the “real world.” They offer an excellent bridge between your academic work and the professional world. Most engineering students from accredited engineering programs do an internship experience before they graduate; here at UW, approximately 2/3 of our students complete one prior to graduation.

Once you accept a position, complete the registration form under the Internships section on the CC@E website. International students must ALSO complete the online CPT application on the ISS Website; please be sure to carefully follow the instructions regarding the department adviser information, as this is NOT your academic adviser.

After you read the syllabus and submit the appropriate documentation, including an offer letter, the CC@E staff will manually add you to the appropriate course and section (i.e., "add codes" are NOT distributed to students). You will also receive an e-mail confirming your enrollment, and you may pay the course fee through MyUW.

Send an e-mail to

Refer to the registration links/deadlines table. Please note that you cannot register for credit retroactively.

Unfortunately you are not able to register in advance for future quarters; please review the registration table showing when registration is open.

Students can earn TWO credits per quarter when working full-time (21+ hours per week) or ONE credit when working part-time (up to 20 hours per week). F-1 visa undergrads are required to be registered in 12 credits total during an academic quarter, which can be handled through the CC@E; please e-mail engrint@uw.edufor more information.

Aeronautics and Astronautics 2 credits per quarter applicable to A&A Technical Electives, 6 credit maximum
Bioengineering 2 credits per quarter, applicable to Engineering Electives, 4 credit maximum
Chemical Engineering 2 credits per quarter applicable to Chem Electives. 4 credit maximum
Civil & Environmental Engineering 2 credits per quarter applicable to upper division Engr & Sci; 4 credit maximum
Computer Science & Computer Engineering 1 credit per quarter applicable to CSE Senior Electives. 2 credit maximum
Electrical Engineering 2 credits per quarter applicable to EE or Engineering Electives. 4 credit maximum
Human-Centered Design & Engineering 2 credits per quarter applicable to required Internship requirements. 4 credit maximum
Industrial & Systems Engineering  
Materials Science & Engineering 2 credits per quarter applicable to Tech Electives or NME Electives. 4 credit maximum
Mechanical Engineering 2 credits per quarter applicable to ME Option Credits. 4 credit maximum

In lieu of tuition, a per-credit fee ($180 for undergraduate students, $250 for graduate students) is paid to cover costs of administering the program. Students may maintain full-time student status when registered for two credits, making this an affordable option for many students.

No. Students working locally who would like to purchase a U-PASS and/or an IMA membership can do so in-person from the respective offices (Transportation Services at 1320 NE Campus Parkway, IMA at 3924 Montlake Blvd).

All students are advised to have health insurance at all times. International students are REQUIRED to maintain health insurance (see last page of Syllabus, “ADDENDUM: SPECIAL NOTE TO INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS ON F-1 VISA").


CPT is temporary authorization for practical training directly related to your major field of study. The student's major field of study is listed on the I-20. CPT is authorized by the ISS office in accordance with the F-1 regulations. In order to be authorized for CPT, you MUST be registered for an academic course (in this case, ENGR 321/601). You can apply for CPT during the regular academic year (you must remain registered full-time) and/or your annual vacation quarter.

CPT may be part-time (20 hours per week or less) or full-time (more than 20 hours per week). If you accumulate 12 months (365 or more days) of full-time CPT authorization, you lose your eligibility for Optional Practical Training (OPT), another type of employment authorization for F-1 students. Part-time CPT and fewer than 12 months of full-time CPT authorization does not affect your OPT eligibility.

You may be eligible for CPT if you:

  • Are currently in valid F-1 status.
  • Have been enrolled at a college or university in the U.S. on a full-time basis for at least one full academic year. (“One academic year” at UW is defined as three full-time quarters per the academic calendar, including final exams week. An exception to the academic year rule is provided for graduate students whose programs require immediate participation in CPT. The program requirement must be for all students in the program and should be listed on the program’s website in the curriculum description.)
  • Are in a major (Pre-major students who are not yet admitted into a major are not eligible for CPT, as CPT cannot be authorized based on a minor or certificate program).
  • Will earn your degree from UW (visiting exchange students are not eligible for CPT).

For further questions please refer to the International Students Services website.

The CC@E can help you retain your full-time student status; please contact for assistance.