My laboratory is dedicated to developing novel and clinically useful biomedical imaging techniques for early diagnosis, treatment and management of human diseases.
By exploring the properties of light, tissue, and their interactions, the Wang lab invented, discovered or pioneered optical microangiography, full-range complex Fourier domain optical coherence tomography, optical clearing of biological tissue, optical elastography, phase-sensitive optical coherence vibrometry, multifunctional nanoparticle contrast agents and their applications in imaging tissue morphology, tissue blood microcirculation (brain, retina, cochlea, skin, muscle etc), tissue mechanical properties and embryonic heart development.
- Ph.D., University of Glasgow, 1995
- M.Sc., Tianjin University, 1990
- B.Eng., Tianjin University, 1988
- JR de Oliveira Dias, QQ Zhang, JMB Garcia, F Zheng, EH Motulsky, L Roisman, AR Miller, CL Chen, S Kubach, L de Sisternes, MK Durbin, RK Wang, G Gregori, PJ Rosenfeld. “Prevalence and Natural History of Subclinical Neovascularization in Age-Related Macular Degeneration Imaged with Swept Source OCT Angiography.” Ophthalmology,
- A.H. Kashani, C.-L. Chen, J.K. Gahm, F. Zheng, G.M. Richter, P.J. Rosenfeld, Y. Shi, R.K. Wang, “Optical coherence tomography angiography: A comprehensive review of current methods and clinical applications”, Progress in Retinal and Eye Research (2017), doi: 10.1016/j.preteyeres.2017.07.002.
- RK Wang, QQ Zhang, YD Li, and SZ Song. “Optical coherence tomography angiography based capillary velocimetry.” J Biomed Opt. 22(6), 066008 (Jun 15, 2017).
- QQ Zhang, CL Chen, ZD Chu, F Zheng, AR Miller, L Roisman, JR De Oliveira Dias, Z Yehoshua, KB. Schaal, W Feuer, G Gregori, S Kubach, L An, PF Stetson, MK Durbin, PJ Rosenfeld, RK Wang. “Automated quantitation of choroidal neovascularization: a comparison study between spectral domain and swept source OCT angiograms.” Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science, 58 (3):1506– 1513 (2017). DOI:10.1167/iovs.16-20977.
- CL Chen, KD Bojikian, JC Wen, QQ Zhang, C Xin, RC Mudumbai, MA Johnstone, PP Chen, RK Wang “Peripapillary Retinal Nerve Fiber Layer Vascular Microcirculation in Glaucomatous Eyes with Single Hemifield Visual Field Loss.” JAMA Ophthalmology. 135(5):461-468 (2017) doi:10.1001/jamaophthalmol.2017.0261.
- J.J. Xu, S.Z. Song, W. Wei and R.K. Wang, “Wide field and highly sensitive angiography based on optical coherence tomography with akinetic swept source.” Biomedical Optics Express, 8 (1), 420-435 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1364/BOE.8.000420.
- CL Chen, and RK Wang. “Optical Coherence Tomography Based Angiography” Biomedical Optics Express, 8(2), 1056 – 1082 (2017).
- L. Ambrozinski*, S. Song*, S. J. Yoon*, I. Pelivanov, D. Li, L. Gao, T.T. Shen, R.K. Wang and M. O’Donnell. “Acoustic micro-tapping for non-contact 4D imaging of tissue elasticity. Sci. Rep. 6, 38967; doi: 10.1038/srep38967 (2016).
- WJ Choi, YD Li, W Qin and RK Wang. “Cerebral capillary velocimetry based on temporal OCT speckle contrast”. Biomedical Optics Express, 7(12), 4859-4873 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1364/BOE.7.004859
- S.Z. Song, J.J. Xu and R.K. Wang, “Long-range and wide field of view optical coherence tomography for in vivo 3D imaging of large volume object based on akinetic programmable swept source.” Biomedical Optics Express, 7 (11): 4734-4748 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1364/BOE.7.004734
- Y. Nishijima, Y. Akamatsu, S.Y. Yang, C.C. Lee, U. Baran, S. Song, R.K. Wang, T. Tominaga, J.L. Liu, “Impaired collateral flow compensation during chronic cerebral hypoperfusion in the type-II-diabetic mice”, Stroke 47(12):3014-3021(2016). DOI: 10.1161/STROKEAHA.116.014882
- Q.Q. Zhang, A.Q. Zhang, C. Lee, A. Lee, K.A. Rezaei, A. Miller, F. Zheng, L. Roisman, G. Gregori, M.K. Durbin, L. An, P. F. Stetson, P. J. Rosenfeld and R.K. Wang. “Projection artifact removal enables accurate presentation and monitoring of choroidal neovascularization imaged by optical coherence tomography angiography”, Ophthalmology Retina, 1:124-136 (2017).
- C.L. Chen, A.Q. Zhang, Q.Q. Zhang, D. Gupta, J.C. Wen, C. Xin, R.C. Mudumbai, K.D. Bojikian, M.A. Johnstone, P.P. Chen, R.K. Wang. “Peripapillary Retinal Nerve Fiber Layer Vascular Microcirculation in Glaucoma Using Optical Coherence Tomography–Based Microangiography”, Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science, 57, OCT475-OCT485 (2016). doi:10.1167/iovs.15-18909.
- L. Warren*, S. Ramamoorthy*, N. Ciganovic*, Y. Zhang, T. Wilson, T. Petrie, R.K. Wang, S.L. Jacques, T. Reichenbach, A.L.Nuttall, A. Fridberger. “Minimal basilar membrane motion in low-frequency hearing.” Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 113(30):E4304-10. (2016)
- ZD Chu, J. Lin, C. Gao, C Xin, Q Zhang, C-L Chen, L. Roisman, G Gregori, PJ Rosenfeld, and R.K. Wang. “Quantitative assessment of the retinal microvasculature using OCT angiography”, Journal of Biomedical Optics, 21(6), 066008 (2016), doi: 10.1117/1.JBO.21.6.066008.
- S.Z. Song, W. Wei, B.Y. Hsieh, I. Pelivanov, T.T. Shen, M. O’Donnell and R.K. Wang. “Strategies to improve phase-stability of ultrafast swept source optical coherence tomography for single shot imaging of transient mechanical waves at 16 kHz frame rate”. Applied Physics Letters. 108, 191104 (2016); doi: 10.1063/1.4949469.
- C. Xin, R.K. Wang, S.Z. Song, T.T. Shen, J. Wen, E. Martin, Y. Jiang, S. Padilla, M. Johnstone. “Aqueous outflow regulation: Optical coherence tomography implicates pressure-dependent tissue motion.” Experimental Eye Research, 158 (5):171-186. (2017). http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.exer.2016.06.007
- Q.Q. Zhang, C.S. Lee, J. Chao, C.L. Chen, T. Zhang, U. Sharma, A.Q. Zhang, J. Liu, K. Rezaei, K.L. Pepple, R. Munsen, J. Kinyoun, M. Johnstone, R.N. Van Gelder, and R.K. Wang. “Wide-field optical coherence tomography based microangiography for retinal imaging”, Scientific Reports, 6, Article number: 22017 (2016). doi:10.1038/srep22017.
- L. Roisman, Q.Q. Zhang, R.K. Wang, G. Gregori, A. Zhang, C.L. Chen, M.K. Durbin, L. An, P. F. Stetson, G. Robbins, A. Miller, F. Zheng, and P. J. Rosenfeld “Optical Coherence Tomography Angiography of Asymptomatic Neovascularization in Intermediate Age-Related Macular Degeneration”. Ophthalmology, 123(6):1309 – 1319 (2016). doi:10.1016/j.ophtha.2016.01.044
- U. Baran, W Qin, X. Qi, G Kalkan, and R.K. Wang. “OCT-based label free in vivo lymphangiography within human skin”, Scientific Reports, 6, 21122 (2016).
Honors & awards
- Recipient of Research to Prevent Blindness Innovative Research Award
- Recipient of OHSU Technology Innovation Award
- Editor of Journal of Biomedical Optics Letters
- Associate Editor for Biomedical Optics Express, Quantitative Imaging in Medicine and Surgery
- Fellow of American Institute of Medical and Biological Engineering (AIMBE)
- Fellow of Optical Society of America (OSA)
- Fellow of International Society of Optics and Photonics (SPIE)