PEER Leaders are a cadre of student leaders who are helping to improve the UW College of Engineering by creating positive change toward a more inclusive engineering environment.
PEER Leaders engage faculty, staff and fellow students through presentations that describe how the PEERs seminar, coupled with their own course work, prepare them for their future as engineering leaders.
The presentations highlight what the students have learned about diversity in science and engineering, the impact of unconscious bias, stereotypes, privilege, engaging the community and building allies to support all students succeeding in engineering.
Past presentations have ranged from brief introductory presentations to 90 minute workshops.
Bring PEER Leaders to Your Organization - PEER Leaders are available to present at student society meetings, faculty meetings, conferences, workshops, and a variety of other events. To schedule a PEER Leaders presentation, contact Joyce Yen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
PEERs leaders created a Facebook page to encourage greater engagement with the PEERs program and dissemination of topics regarding diversity in science and engineering. Visit the page here!
- Past PEER Leader presentations are available on-line.
Note: Presentations are offered in .pdf format. Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view. If you require an alternate format, please e-mail us your request.
course page to learn more about enrolling.- PEER Leaders must complete the Fall PEERs seminar to be eligible. If you are a student and are interested in becoming a PEER Leader, visit our
Our PEER Leaders program is modeled after Michigan's ADVANCE Science and Technology Recruiting to Improve Diversity and Excellence, or STRIDE.
This year the PEERs Leaders created a series of raps about engineering and diversity. Please listen to them below:
Fresh Prince of UNfair Rap
Unconscious Bias Rap
2013 PEER Leaders
- Jennifer Kang, Computer Science & Engineering
- Serena Lam, Electrical Engineering
- Ahlmahz Negash, Electrical Engineering
- Christina Paz, Materials Science & Engineering
- Carmen Rodriguez, Civil & Environmental Engineering
- Rachel Rosenzweig, Materials Science & Engineering
- Megan Torkildson, Human Centered Design & Engineering
- Quoc-Anh Vu, Electrical Engineering
Past PEER Leaders
- Edison Amah, Aeronautics & Astronautics
- Shiri Azenkot, Computer Science & Engineering
- Cezanne Camacho, Electrical Engineering
- Leslie Cornaby, Bioengineering
- Nuvala Fomban, Bioengineering
- Anna Gillan, Industrial & Systems Engineering
- Abdulkadir Idris, Pre-Engineering
- Dale Jackson, Electrical Engineering
- Elise Neroutsos, Pre-Engineering
- Victoria Rodriguez, Bioengineering
- Kimberlee Sing, Chemical Engineering
- Tanner Smith, Pre-engineering
- Rafael Vertido, Pre-Engineering
Recent PEER Leader Presentations
November 21, 2013
October 22, 2013
October 21, 2013
October 9, 2013
September 6, 2013
July 19, 2013
July 9, 2013
June 7, 2013
All presentations are in .pdf format, which requires Adobe Acrobat Reader. If you'd like to request an alternate format, please let us know.