Women in Science & Engineering Conference
2014 WiSE Conference: Building a Culture of WiSE Leaders
Saturday, March 1, 2014
8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
On the UW Seattle Campus, Husky Union Building (HUB)
The WiSE conference celebrates women in engineering academics and careers. The day-long event offers educational and professional enrichment, bringing pre-college, undergraduate, and graduate students together with faculty, administrators, and professional women.
Workshops and presentations speak to the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) educational and career opportunities. We encourage students and professionals of science and engineering at all levels to attend.
- Dona Sarkar
- Sponsored by Microsoft.
Dona Sarkar is a Principal Systems Engineer at Microsoft, fiction author, and fashion designer. On a book tour in her home town of Detroit, where she would tell her story of an inner-city kid who becomes a leader in one of the biggest software projects in the world, Dona discovered her calling as a role model to young women. Each year, she interviews over a hundred college students for jobs at Microsoft, encouraging young women to consider the unique contributions they can make to the next generation of consumer-focused software products. Dona speaks at technology events across the country, stressing the importance of women in tech fields. Video: Channel 9 interview »
- Randi Zuckerberg
- Sponsored by the U.S. Air Force Reserve.
Founder and CEO of Zuckerberg Media, Randi Zuckerberg is also Editor-In-Chief of Dot Complicated, and former Director of Market Development for Facebook. Randi created and ran Facebook's marketing programs, led the company's U.S. election and international politics strategy, and created their live-streaming video capability during the 2008 presidential inauguration. Randi was nominated for an Emmy Award in 2011 for her innovative coverage of the 2010 mid-term elections that integrated online and TV coverage.Randi Zuckerberg video message (< 1 min.):
- Workshops in professional and personal development »
- Attend workshops designed specifically for the high school, college/university student and professional.
- Career Resource Fair for STEM
- Talk to representatives from engineering and science departments and the UW community, meet employers of WiSE alumni, including: Boeing | HDR | Intel | Microsoft | Turner | U.S. Navy | U.S. Army Reserve | UW Civil & Environmental Engineering | UW College of the Environment | UW Information School
- Networking Lunch
- Enjoy a catered lunch and plenty of time to network. You can visit the WiSE photo booth, enjoy a tech talk, and bid in the silent auction.
Highlights from 2013