STARS - page top logo and photos
Before you begin
Before you begin your STARS application, please review the program overview, eligibility, and program requirements sections carefully. Please note that consideration for STARS is contingent upon admission to the University of Washington, Seattle; STARS is not offered at UW Bothell or UW Tacoma.
Applications submitted by March 8, 2018 will be given priority consideration. The final deadline to submit your STARS application is March 28, 2018 at 11:59 p.m.
- Click the Start the application button below.
- If you haven't already created an account, click the "Register here" link at the bottom of the form that prompts you to log in. Note: When you create your account, provide the same email address you provided on your UW application.
- The application does not have to be completed in one login session. You may save your work at any time and continue working on the application later.
- You will be prompted to provide some information about yourself and your parent(s)/guardian(s). If you have two parents/guardians, you must provide the information requested for both parents/guardians. Eligibility to participate in STARS is contingent upon financial aid eligibility, so be sure to include the requested information about annual earnings.
You will be required to respond to the following essay prompts. Do not exceed the maximum word count for each prompt as indicated below. Write your essays in a word processing program and paste in your responses to avoid losing your work.
- Why are you inspired and motivated to study engineering and/or computer science? Please address, in some depth, the specific nature and extent of your interests in engineering and/or computer science. (500 words max.)
- Studying engineering or computer science in STARS requires determination and a willingness to work hard consistently over the course of five years. Please share one or more experiences about a challenging goal that took a long time to achieve. How did you display determination and hard work? Was there a time when you wanted to give up, and ifs so, what did you do? Where did you get help? What did you learn? What did you learn about yourself? (500 words max.)
- Reflect on a time when you challenged a belief or idea. What prompted you to act? Would you make the same decision again? Why or why not? (500 words max.)
- What are some other important personal qualities that you feel you will bring to the STARS program? Please provide one or more examples where you have demonstrated these qualities. (500 words max.)
- What one interesting or fun fact would you want future STARS classmates to know about you? (50 words max.)
After you apply
After an initial review of applications, STARS candidates will be invited to interview with program staff on the UW Seattle campus. Candidates living more than a three hours’ drive from Seattle will have the option to interview via video chat. We hope to notify applicants of their STARS admission status by April 30, 2018.
If you are admitted to STARS, you will be asked to complete a Confirmation of Participation Form to formally accept the offer of admission.