Why UW Engineering?
An engineering education from the University of Washington offers a wealth of opportunities and opens doors to an extraordinary future.
The UW is an engine of economic growth, today ranked third in the nation for the number of startups launched each year, with 65 companies having been started in the last five years alone by UW students and faculty, or with technology developed here. The College of Engineering is a key contributor to these innovations. In 2014, eight of the record 18 startups came from engineering faculty, students or technology.
- The University of Washington is ranked number one in federal research and training funding for public universities.
- Nine of 10 engineering departments are ranked in their respective top 25, with two in the top 10.
- The College of Engineering is ranked 15th in public engineering schools overall.
Change the world
- Students work on interesting projects with global impact. One group built a successful fish hatchery program in Guatemala that provides a reliable source of food and income. Another team designs cook stoves for developing countries. Students teams participate in (and often win) the UW Environmental Innovation Challenge.
- Our faculty are passionate and renowned in their fields and are committed to providing students with an exceptional education. They include 22 members of the National Academy of Engineering, 95 NSF Early Career awardees, 2 MacArthur "Genius" Award winners, and 25 Sloan Research fellows
- Our undergraduates tackle real-world problems through senior capstone design projects. They work in major research centers in aerospace, bio-sciences, electronics and computing, energy, materials and structures, molecular and nano engineering, and transportation.
- The Puget Sound region is a hub of creativity and innovation in aerospace, biotechnology, global health, clean technology, and information and communications technology. Local industry is eager to connect with our students. Through the Career Center @ Engineering, students work in their field while earning school credit and often secure jobs before graduation.
- UW Engineering has a wide variety of programs to support our students. First- and second-years can live in the Engineering Community, a residence hall that extends learning beyond the classroom. The Engineering Academic Center provides support, tutoring, workshops, and study groups.
- We believe that finances should not be a barrier to getting a first-class education. Kiplinger's magazine rated the UW the 13th best value in higher education. Over 60% of UW undergraduate students receive financial assistance. The UW's Husky Promise guarantees that full tuition will be covered for low or lower-middle income students who are Washington residents.
Work with award winning and supportive faculty
Participate in world-class research
Build relationships with industry—now and into the future
Be a part of our "Community of Innovators"
Get one of the best values in higher education