Student Organizations and Clubs
Joining a student group is a great way to explore majors in the college of engineering. Whether you want to work hands on with an engineering design project, or you just want to meet other students, it all starts with attending a meeting or contacting one of the officers or the faculty sponsor. Competitions offer opportunities to do hands-on work in a public forum. These events are often sponsored by professional organizations and corporations.
- American Indian Science & Engineering Society »
- Build community while bridging science and technology with traditional Native values. Opportunities for American Indians and Native Alaskans to pursue studies in science, engineering, and other academic arenas.
Faculty sponsor: Scott Pinkham
- Concrete Canoe »
- Civil & Environmental Engineering students race canoes they have planned, built and constructed. The competition includes a technical paper on design and construction, presentation of the canoe’s design, construction, racing ability to judges.
Video about the team, work, and competition
- Design/Build/Fly »
- Aeronautics & Astronautics students design, build and fly a flight vehicle in the national AIAA Design/Build/Fly competition each year. The UW DBF team is run by students to give them hands-on experience while applying the skills they learn in the classroom to a real-life problem. DBF 2013-2014 video
- EcoCAR3 »
- Four-year student competition to convert a Chevy Camaro to hybrid. Team designs and integrates advanced vehicle technology powertrains and controls to develop their vehicle solutions to reduce emissions.
Student Contact: Alexander Ong.
Faculty adviser: Prof. Brian Fabien
Read more: UW students build hybrid-electric muscle car
- Engineering Student Advisory Council »
- Meet monthly with the Dean or Associate Dean and staff to discuss planning and budgeting matters for the College. Pre-engineering, undergraduate, and grad students and at-large members. Council members represent the diverse student community in 1-year terms.
Faculty sponsor: Susan Bolton & Mark Benjamin
Faculty sponsor: Diane Martin (staff)
SAS Adviser: Cathryne Jordan
Faculty sponsor: Connie Bourassa-Shaw, Pierre Mourad and Buddy Ratner
SAS Adviser: Cathryne Jordan
Faculty adviser: Alberto Aliseda
Advising sponsor: Cathryne Jordan
Adviser: Hélène Martin
Aeronautics and Astronautics
American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (Flash required)
Faculty sponsor: Jim Hermanson
Civil and Environmental Engineering
Concrete Canoe Team
Faculty sponsor: Pedro Arduino
Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
Faculty sponsor: TBA
Human Centered Design & Engineering (formerly Technical Communication)
Industrial & Systems Engineering
American Society of Mechanical Engineers
Faculty sponsor: Steve Shen
Formula SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers)
Faculty sponsor: Ashley Emery
Human Powered Sub
Faculty sponsor: Bruce Adee
Material Science and Engineering
Society of Manufacturing Engineers
Paper Science and Engineering
Technical Association of the Pulp and Paper Industry
Faculty sponsor: Mark Lewis