UW STEM Bridge Program for Incoming Engineering & Science Students
STEM Bridge Class of 2012
The College of Engineering, Minority Scholars Engineering Program (MSEP) is partnering with the Office of Minority Affairs and Diversity Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation (LSAMP) grant to provide a summer bridge experience for incoming first year students preparing to study Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) disciplines.
UW STEM Bridge includes a four-week experience held during UW’s Early Fall Start and continues into the autumn quarter. The four weeks prior to autumn quarter, STEM Bridge students attend intensive math courses, academic workshops, participate in lab research, and build community to better prepare for the rigors of STEM course work at the university level. Participants continue to meet weekly during the autumn term. UW STEM Bridge enhances peer, academic and professional communities, which has proven to increase the retention to graduation rates for STEM intended majors.
During the Early Fall Start period UW STEM Bridge students:
- Attend academic workshops to prepare for the rigors of university level mathematics and science.
- Develop effective STEM learning and study skills.
- Connect with resources offered through the Office of Minority Affairs and Diversity (OMAD) and the College of Engineering.
- Engage with an academic community that will become a vital part of a successful transition to the UW.
- Participate in STEM research.
- Learn about STEM career opportunities.
During the autumn quarter, UW STEM Bridge students:
- Meet weekly as a cohort.
- Learn about UW STEM departments and programs.
- Engage in a collaborative learning community./li>
- Meet with academic advisers.
- Attend STEM industry presentations.
Pre-Autumn Schedule: August 26 - September 20, 2013
The first part of UW STEM Bridge takes place during (but is not part of) the UW’s Early Fall Start program. Participants are registered for a 3 credit/no credit course (ENGR 202) and participate in activities as follows:
Monday through Thursday daily schedule includes:
- Academic workshops for 2 to 3 hours each day
- Presentations, workshops, labs, and other activities centered around the study and practice of science and engineering
- Industry tours
- Time to work on group projects
Some weekend and evening activities will be included in the program.
Autumn Program Schedule
The second part of STEM Bridge takes place during the autumn quarter. Participants are registered for a 1 credit/no credit course (ENGR 199) that meets weekly.
Program Costs and Housing
The 4 credits that are part of UW STEM Bridge will be part of the student’s fall registration. Students who take 14 credits or less during the fall will not owe any additional tuition. UW STEM students are expected to be taking a math and science course in the autumn and other academic support credits offered through the College of Engineering Student Academic Services or the Office of Minority Affairs and Diversity.
Participants are encouraged to live on or near campus during the pre-autumn program as well as their first year at the University of Washington. Learn about the housing application, scholarships and costs at Student Housing for UW STEM Bridge.
Students should also be prepared to purchase their autumn quarter math and science books for the Early Fall Start portion of STEM Bridge. These textbooks will be used to prepare students for their autumn quarter coursework.
Applying for UW STEM Bridge Program
The 2013 UW STEM Bridge Application is now available!
The submission deadline is May 15, 2013.
Have a question?
Contact your UW STEM Bridge Coordinators: